Join My Hoardes of Followers!!!

Friday, July 2, 2010

And the countdown begins.........

Alas friends, the blogging hiatus has ended. I have been rather busy with summer classes, and though I did not consciously decide to stop blogging, it just was the first thing on the chopping block. I alos gave a substansial amount of my free time to my newly-acquired copy of Super Mario Galaxy (game review blog?), that is finished, so now blogging has returned.


To ensure I continue to make blogging a priority, I have found a daily format to use. I love blogging I really do, but since it requires attention and work, I will put off doing it like homework, shaving, or getting up to take a leak in the middle of the night. Now I have a timeline for blogging.


Every offseason Rivals.com counts down every college football team in the nation from 120 to 1 and I follow these rankings religiously because it is the most indepth thing I can read about football during the offseason, that isn't just some ESPN hack writing essays about how great certain athlete's off the field charity work will lead their team to improved effort on the field beacuse of how the life lessons will improve team or individual yada-yada-yada. No, this is genuine, smash-mouth, gut-wrenching, take-your-dog-out-back-and-shoot-it-if-it-misbehaves, real freaking football analysis. It also appeals to my love of the list-style format of column, something you should know by now is a real guilty pleasure of mine. They countdown five teams a day until they hit fifty, then it is one a day. They just hit fifty. So everyday, I will post a blog with my ranking at that number, and a link to theirs.


I promise these will not be my only blogs, I realize that not everyone reading this cares about my 44th ranked team for the upcoming season, but hopefully getting on everyday again will inspire me to sit down and write more. I've got a few lists planned but they take more time to write, so it will be a little longer to get those out. I will also be doing breakdowns of all the major conferences throughout the summer. When I start this, the columns are likely to be pretty short, because to be perfectly honest, I can't break down 50 teams for that well, since I really only care about the top 35 or so and just threw the rest of the list together to round out my list. With that said.......

Rivals says - Colorado

I say.....

50.






Texas Tech Red Raiders


Two years ago, Mike Leach's squad seemed destined to finally put Lubbock's only and favorite team on the nap nationally. Fresh off beating undefeated Texas and jumping up to the number two ranked team in the country, Texas Tech looked like they had finally acheived that breakout season they had been so close to for much of the decade. Two weeks later they lost to Oklahoma 63-7, would fade out of the national spotlight and end up the third in the BIG 12 via controversial tie-breakers. Because the BCS can only take two teams from a given conference, Texas Tech took their 11-1 team to a second-tier bowl and lost badly to Ole Miss. The program has been in free fall since then ending with the firing of coach Leach last December stemming from incidents involving punishing players for having concussions and telling players they were idiots for having girlfriends. Leach is gone, and Texas Tech is back to being an afterthought in the BIG 12 race. This team is talented but far from proven and with a new coach, a bowl bid is almost certain, but a eight win season seems like the best hope for the Red Raiders this year. They will have to learn how to run the ball and play defense, secondary talents in Leach's gunslinger offense. Until their new coach can spent some time imbedding the new philosophy, Texas Tech should get comfortable with being in a lot of people's forties and fifties.


However, I think they could recruit USC-level talent if they just shopped around this photo a little bit more.

Texas Tech: The school where swim meets and football games never have scheduling conflicts, and where the women exemplify why no one cares about the WNBA. However, it is also where medicore football is practically a religon and the Red Raiders will likely be back in church again this year.

See you tommorow for 49, can you guess hoo-hoo it is?

No comments:

Post a Comment