Join My Hoardes of Followers!!!

Friday, May 14, 2010

Summer Reading

It's here, it's here!! Hallelujah, it's here!!

Summer.

I don't particularly love the weather (my skin is allergic to the sun), I don't like beaches, I stay up late all the time, and I start classes again in three weeks. Because I'm taking classes in two summer semesters. Because I hate myself.

But for the next three weeks, I have freedom. True, I do still work a part time job, but after a semester of nightly homework in three classes, some nail-biting down the stretch about passing those classes, and having projects to work on that were not covered in said homework, it is good to be able to sit at home and realize I have no nagging responsibilities (not with deadlines or grades anyway).

I have set summer goals for myself, and have only three weeks to really enjoy free time to accomplish them before I sacrifice my soul to the world of Finance, Supply Chain Management, General Business, Marketing, and ........... Philosophy? Yeah, I still have to finish up one stupid area credit before I can leave the liberal arts degree world to die and cozy up in the business building to earn my four degrees with classes that will actually be useful for the rest of my life. Three weeks where I can sit at my computer chair and surf the internet pointlesslessly and think, sweet, I won't regret this when I take a test next week. That being said, here are my goals.

1. Master manual on Wii Mario Kart. Ambitious? Important? No. I want to do it, I have one good friend who plays Wii Mario Kart and he plays manual. Until I learn it, I will never be able to enjoy multi-player mode with a friend, or unlock Baby Luigi. Hey, it's a goal.

2. Write something of more merit than this damn blog. I have been told by many that I am a good writer (if someone spell and grammar checks for me). I would like to actually write something of real substance to see if I truly am a gifted writer, or simply a good light-hearted read about sports, comics, and things that make a strange human being abnormally angry. I have considered mocking up a movie script (don't think I'll have time for that) and a comic book script (essentially worthless with my "artistic" skills). I need to find something that will work, I realy want to try this out.

3. Learn to play the guitar. Okay, I am not much more musically gifted than I am artistically, but I don't need to be Hendrix. I'd honestly settle for being Chad Kroeger, at least my wife thinks he has a hot voice. I have had my brothers old guitar in my closet for about a year now and have yet to take it out of the bag. That changes this summer.

4. Hear the entire Harry Potter series. That's right hear. I'm not going to read them myself, they are way too long. I enjoy the movies, and though I don't have a deep interest in the Harry Potter series, it seems fun enough. My wife loves to read aloud, and has decided that she loves reading to me. These facts are complementary. Last week we burned through book one, last night we started book two, if she doesn't get lazy I'll get through all of them by summers end.

5. Build some muscle. I don't have a deep seeded desire to be a bodybuilder or anything, but being in shape is more fun than being out of shape. Having fluctuated through this cycle like four times in the last five years, I am an expert on the subject. I also discovered that there is a TV with ESPN in the fitness center at my apartment complex, so it seems like heaven right now compared to the cableless hell I sleep in.

6. Figure out how this blog site works. It is no secret that I do not get along with technology, this site is just the most recent form of it to get on my nerves, navigating this site is impossible. I still don't know how to even browse for other peoples blogs, or see if anyone is viewing mine, but what is most annoying is that everytime I insert a picture it just creates like two new spaces between all my paragraphs. Meaning that on posts like my NFL draft one, I have to delete like 40 blank lines between all my paragraphs when I'm done writing it.

7. Finish my summer reading. What is my sumer reading you ask? I have long desired to go back and read some of my old favorite comic book series, but have either not had the time or the resources to do so. Having recently finally brought all my comics down to Boise, I have constant access to them, and plan to make this a priority during the next three weeks, as I will likely never get to it otherwise. I went through my boxes today and picked out the books I want to re-read. There are about five stacks of them, that all together are roughly the size of a full ong box of comics. Sorry honey.

These goals, bring more blogs. Why? If I'm going to read, I may as well give it a mini-review on my blog. That means that for the next three weeks, comics fans can enjoy, and sports fans, uh.... I'll make something up to post at random, can't afford to lose any of my six followers.

We will need to establish a ranking system for these reviews, and since I am ridiculous, I think it is best to use a picture instead of a number. It is more fun that way.

10 = Thor's Hammer
9 = Cap's Shield
8 = Dan Marino Jersey
7 = Silver Surfer's Board
6 = Gambit's Cards
5 = Brian Bendis
4= Toaster
3 = Canadian Flag
2 = DC Comics Logo
1 = Courtney Love

If I am feeling inspired, I might splice the images together when half or quarter ratings apply but in all likelihood, I'll just throw 1/2 after the picture.

Young Avengers #1-12

The Young Avengers was one of the first comics that was launched after I started reading comics again in spring of 2005. I was skeptical of it thinking it would be a Marvel attempt at DC's Teen Titans (a concept I hate) and was surprised to find that I was wrong. I bought this book only because I was excited by the New Avengers launch and was buying everything I could find that looked like it would invlolve Captain America. This book starts by being about four teenage boys who have been recruited by a vuture villian misplaced in time to save him from his destiny. I will not give any more details specifically, because I'm not a spoiler kind of guy. Captain America and Iron Man are deeply concerned by teenagers attempting to be superheroes and work to shut them down before someone gets hurt. In the end of the first story arc, one of the Young Avengers leaves their ranks and the book moves ofrward without him. The team does add two more members and has a total of seven by books end. The second arc is good not great, as Skrulls and Kree try to steal one of the Avengers away into their own ranks believing him to be a royal member of their own races. Some of the swerves are a little far-fetched, some of the action is non-sensical, but in the end the story is fine. The first story is incredible, and though the art also takes a dip in the second arc, the 12th (and final) issue has page after page of beautiful large scale fight depictions. The book was cancelled after the twelfth issue for a reason no really understood as it had been very popular. Fans were assured that the Young Avengers would be back. Since then they seem to show up as random support cahracters in every major crossover, landing a mini-series every two years or so, but really are just kind of there. If you want to read a really good Young Avengers story, honestly, this is the only place to do it.


Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment