Join My Hoardes of Followers!!!

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Comic Review: Sub-Mariner vol. 2

Comic Review: Sub-Mariner vol. 2 #1-6

In the wake of the popular Civil War crossover, Sub-Mariner got a mini-series chronicling the consequences of Namor's involvement in the Civil War. I was initially really disappointed when the series was released with a "1 of 6" on the cover as Marvel Previews had been building it as an ongoing series. It was stuck with the "The Initiative" banner based on the fact that it had nothing to do with the initiative at all. That being said, I will not hold any of these things against the book itself.

Based on Namor's involvement in the Civil War, the United States military is worried that Namor is back to his old war against the surface world ways, and sick Tony Stark and S.H.I.E.L.D. on Atlantis. Meanwhile Atlantean terrorists have attacked on U.S. soil completely unawares to Namor himself. This leads an armada of S.H.I.E.L.D. submarines to surround Atlantis 24/7 to moniter Atlantis until Namor will negotiate a U.S. presence in Atlantis to prevent further incidents. Namor refuses and goes to the surfcae to hunt down the Atlantean terrorists behind the attack.

I'm not big on spoilers, so I don't want to give away a lot, but you can look forward to fights with Iron Man, Wolverine, and Venom. The conclusion to the series is maybe my favorite ending to any series since I started reading comics. It completely exemplifies the character of Namor, both as an individual and as the ruthless monarch he has been known as. The writing is godd throughout, the only problem I had is that it assumes you are familiar with Atlantean characters other than Namor, despite the fact that he has not had his own series in a decade. The art work is solid, and one of the reasons I love books like this one and space books is that you get to see some truly imaginative artwork. Some of the pictures of Atlantis are breathtaking. The covers also are very good.

In the end, the is no way I could not recommend this mini-series, it is porbably my favorite mini-series to come out in the last 2-3 years. Highly recommended.
Rating:

1 comment: