Join My Hoardes of Followers!!!

Friday, September 3, 2010

Anxiety, the list.

Finally a blog that is not inherently about football. I know that many have waited months for this, I have to, but I haven't had time to blog above my obligatory postings. I finally have one and a top 10 to boot. I'm sorry for the delay but hopefully this will make up for it.

Today, as a celebration of the end of the tormentingly long offseason, we celebrate impatience. For all of us the can't seem to survive the horribly long wait to much anticipated events, this Bud's for you. Sure, I'm almost always disappointed when it's over, but for the months that I anticipate an event, it is going to be glorious. So today we count down the top 10 events I can't wait for in the next year.

10. SUPERTONES!!!!!!!

Already the subjects of a lengthy blog, the O.C. Supertones are touring again, and I couldn't be more excited. The 'Tones are my all-time favorite band and I really hope I am able to see them live once more at some point. This is not higher only because I don't know that I will actually be blessed enough to see them. They play one more scheduled date, in California this October, I want to go so bad, but the money may not be there.

9. Brandon Marshall as a Miami Dolphin

It has been a long time since I've seen a legitimately exciting player suit up in the teal and orange, since the first time Ricky Williams picked weed over money, I'll finally get to see it again. The 'Phins picked up a have asset via trade with the Denver Donkeys this year and I can't wait to see what he can do for a franchise long overdue for a return to it's former glory.

8. The End of He Who Shall Not Be Named

Those who have been reading since my first blog know who I'm referring to. For those that have not, I'll give you some hints:
- He wears a No. 4 like a Superman logo
- He is the biggest drama queen in sports
- In an eight month offseason, deciding whether to play again or not takes seven months, four weeks, and twenty-nine days.
- If he was begging on the side of the street for pennies, I would spit in his change can and then open my car door quickly so as to crack his skull with it.
- If he is at a press conference, there will be tears, and it will somehow relate to retirement.
Do you know who I mean yet? This season has to be the end, his contract is up, his health is down, and the team is falling apart around him. I personally will be surprised if he makes it all the way through the season on that ankle.

7. Captain America

Finally, the legend comes to the big screen in the next build to the Avengers epic. I have been waiting for this movie a very, very long time but I have to admit, I hate the selection of Chris Evans to play Cap. They interviewed a very puzzling crew of actors for the part including Jim from the Office and they selected on the former Human Torch. What happened to Brad Pitt as Steve Rogers. It should be good regardless, the rest of the cast is solid, and as the last chapter before the Avengers it should pull out all the stops.

6. Elections

I have been very critical of the political direction this country is moving in and hope there is a real shake-up this fall. I don't mean "rah,rah, go Republicans" I am not a Republican. I mean how about new blood, people that don't vote for things that the state has said it does not want. We are stuck with Obama beyond the scope of this list, I accept that, but certainly something has to change in November. This would be higher but this is the United State, meaning that we will replace the Capitol Hill idiots with neanderthals and shout about how much better everything has to be from the rooftops. Call me unemployment finds its way to single figures again.

5. Boise State vs. University of Idiots

I can't wait for this game. Will it be close? I doubt that very much. Will anything really be on the line? I also doubt that. Will I be going crazy as if it were another Fiesta Bowl? You bet. The rivalry has been stepped up this offseason thanks to a war of words between the University presidents and city mayors. The blame is on BSU's president but it started with UI's student newspaper. Point all the fingers you want, the fact is the rivalry will be more fierce in its final year than usual. It will be played in Moscow, which should make the Bronco beatdown all the more satisfying. Normally I am a pretty casual UI hater, but a Vandal recently decided that my football trash talk was deserving of a verbal assault of my wife, so this year I bring the nasty. I plan on making more signs than I can hold and handing them out to unprepared haters before the game and hanging around afterwards to heckle fans and players. Should be fun.

4. Thor

This movie has been brilliantly cast, the effects look great, and frankly Thor was written to be a bad ass action movie hero. I already talked about movies once, you can insert Thor instead of Cap into the paragraph for number 7.

3. Christmas

I love Christmas, more than anyone really should, and there is no reason this year can't be better than usual. My wife and I have a savings account just for Christmas because we hope to be able to spend like I'm not an unemployed college student. This year will also be the first pre-meditated Ciderfest in Brandel family history. For those not in the know, Ciderfest started last year when my older brother and I both spent the entire week before Christmas buying cider every time we went to the store. Before we were done, there were over 40 bottles in the garage, and there was a complex rulebook dictating the consumption of the holy beverage. My family takes ridiculous things and runs with them, so Ciderfest 2010 should rival Pee-Wee Herman on the ridiculous scale.

2. Boise State vs. Virginia Tech

No, it's not at number one, I'm sure that is a surprise to some. This game will make or break my entire year. With a win, Boise State will almost certainly be in the national title conversation all year long, with a loss we will be an afterthought no matter what we accomplish the rest of the way. The Broncos face higher expectation than any non-AQ team ever has, this game will shape the way the entire rest of the college football season goes, and the Broncos look prepared. The wait here is short and ends on Monday.

1. Graduation

What else could it be really. I hate school, I hate homework, the main reason is that I love normal work. I couldn't be more excited to ditch my textbooks and start working towards actual career goals. The writing is on the wall for my time as a student and hopefully also for my time as a persistently broke individual. Nothing will be the same after this, it will almost certainly be better though.

1 comment: